Relentless rumors continue to swirl around the Morganton Ingles with speculation claiming that Ingles sold to Publix or Harris Teeter; FEMA is preventing reopening; a yawning sinkhole appeared inside the store; it fired its contractor; and insurance settlement disputes.
When a popular community asset like Ingles, closed since September 2024 because of Hurricane Helene, goes months without providing information to public about renovation status, speculation will fill the void. Social media will push speculation deep into the community.
Ingles Chief Financial Officer Pat Jackson and Construction Project Manager Preston Kendall have not responded to recent or previous requests for comment. As of this week, Ingles’ career website does not contain any job openings for Morganton among the more than 500 job opportunities listed.
Listen to those who would be among first to know the state of progress, Morganton’s Development and Design Department, and it appears that Ingles, and only Ingles, has the plan and the Black Mountain-based grocery chain is tight-lipped about it.
The City of Morganton’s Development and Design Department has not received any new plans or recent communication from the company, according to Development and Design Director Wendy Smith and Public Information Officer Jonelle Sigmon.
New plans trigger a new evaluation and approval process within Morganton’s D&D department. The duration of that potential new review is determined by the complexity of the new plans.
After Hurricane Helene, Ingles quickly received a building permit from the city on Oct. 14, 2024, to make repairs. Then on Dec. 11, Ingles applied for a new building permit application to further renovate the store.
According to information provided by Sigmon, the city’s D&D department completed its review of the Ingles plan at the end of December. Ingles supplied additional information required by state law, such as carrying specific insurances, on Dec. 31. The final information provided was reviewed and a building permit approved and issued on Jan. 6.
The building permit approved a renovation that focused on updating the Morganton store to resemble newer locations such as the one in Marion. Chief Building Inspector Mike Finchner also said that it was his understanding after speaking to Ingles’ Construction Manager Preston Kendall, that the company wanted to focus on the deli and produce areas specifically.
Ingles began construction for the renovation, but it wasn’t long before the company decided to go back to the drawing board. Fincher said that as of mid-April, when he last spoke to Kendall, the company was still waiting on their drawings, and once they get them, they will go back to the city for review.
“They are committed to coming back and opening in Morganton,” Fincher said in April. He also noted at the time that he had heard the gossip, often shared on social media, about what was happening with the Morganton location.
“I’m going to have to say that the majority of it is totally unfounded and untrue,” Fincher said.
Once the revised plans are reviewed and approved, Fincher said Ingles can pay for the building permit and begin construction. He added that he believes the company will bring in different contractors for the project.
If Ingles chooses to move forward with the previously approved plans, they can resume work immediately, Smith said. A new preapplication meeting wouldn’t be required — just a courtesy call to notify the city of their intent to proceed.
However, the clock is ticking for Ingles to avoid going through the review process again — even if it goes back to the original plan. Halting construction triggered a six-month time limit from their last inspection to continue under the approved plans. After six months, a new permit will be needed.
The last inspection at Ingles was Feb. 19, meaning Ingles has until Aug. 19 to resume with their already approved work.
Hurricane Helene damage forced extended closures of four Ingles locations in Western North Carolina: Morganton, Spruce Pine, Newland, and Swannanoa. The Newland Ingles — the area’s only grocery store — reopened in December. The other three locations remain closed.
Ingles reported last month that net sales for the second quarter of 2025 were $1.33 billion, a decrease of 2.7% from the previous year. The first half of the fiscal year shows net sales at $2.62 billion, an 8% decrease from the first half of 2024.


(1) comment
The real problem is the city of Morganton. Just let Ingles do the work they need to do. Forget permits, plans approval, there is too much government.
Welcome to the discussion.
Log In
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.